Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Our trip to Las Vegas II

The damn computer kept kicking me off so I published the images in one post and hope that I can finish narrative in this one. We had a good time in LV. I'm ready to move there and to get out of this soul sucking winter weather. Let's all go, OK? Traffic is terrible and summers are stiffling hot, but there is a lot of outdoor stuff to do, the Church is strong, and the schools are good and are likely a lot of jobs. It was nice to see and feel the sun and to see the moon and stars at night.
Land sailing was just OK. The wind was fickle and never settled down to a solid blow.
We took mom to the temple one day and to lunch. She was glad to get out. She is very lonely. I stayed with her so she could "take cae of me". Sharon stayed with Paul & Pam. Paul was badly wronged in his firing from the city. Some people he had helped even turned against him. He says he is not bitter, but I wonder. Pam says maybe it was for the best since her dad appears to be dying and they sit with him a lot.
We both enjoyed "4 wheeling" with the whole "famdamily" out at Apex, Nevada. Paul has 2 ATVs, Mark and Tonya have 4, Scott has one and Eric has one. They were very generous to us. Scott can ride on 2 side wheels and can do long wheelies. His will go real fast. I rode it a bit and cut a few feeble wheelies in the dry lake bed. Easy to see how people get hurt on them. Mom even rode - slowly.
Paul and Eric and I went for a desert drive out past Cactus Springs thru some BLM land and then in USFS land with wonderfully terrible roads. He has a 4WD pickup. So nice to be out there. I need a week in the desert to "heal my mind" from city living. Back on BLM land we shot up several boxes of 12 gauge shotgun shells at thrown clay targets; fun. Paul and Eric are good. I hit a few. Anyone got a 20 or 16 gauge shotgun? I have a 12 gauge, but it kicks kinda hard for kids to use.
Mark and Tonya fixed a wonderful barbeque lunch for all of us. He is a hunting and gun nut and loves to cook too. He has killed a bear with a bow and arrow.
Pls write to g'ma and telephone her too. She is mostly alone. She spoke at a R.S. night meeting and she was the star of the night talking about her long life, the farm, family and all that. Such times are rare for her.
Grandpa the grump

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

See here or here