Sunday, January 18, 2009

The Guernsey Literary Society and Potato Peel Pie Society

"Guernsey Literay....." is a good novel and its been on best seller lists for a while. Recommend you read it.
Here is a quote from it I like about finding your soul, but I had to read it several times and think about it.

"I was never able to get a grip on faith--till Mr. Carlyle* posed religion to me in a different way. He was walking among the ruins of the Abbey... when a thoght came to him and he wrote it down:

'Does it ever give thee pause, that men used to have soul--not by hearsay alone, or as a figure of speech; but as a truth that they know, and acted upon!...but yet it is a pity we have lost the tidings of our souls...we shall have to go in search of them again, or worse in all ways shall befall us'.

Isn't tht something--to know your own soul by hearsay, instead of its own tidings? Why should I let a preacher tell me if I had one or not? If I could believe I had a soul, alll by myself, then I could listen to its tidings all by myselg".
Page 101 of "The Guernsey Literary Society and Potatoe Peel Pie Society" by Shaffer and Barrows. (A fun read)
*Thomas Carlyle in "Past & Present"

This what the Gospel teaches: you can (must) find out for yourself.
Grandpa the grump

No comments: